Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Story Of The Spider

     I was living in Abbotsford, British Columbia.  Two nights in a row I had horrible nightmares of HOUSE-SIZED SPIDERS crawling in my room.  Is there any special significance to these nightmares I wondered?  "No," I thought each time nonchalantly and got some rest for the night.  On the second night I sat up in bed as I wasn't tired and felt guilty I hadn't studied my anatomy book.  Whist learning about joints of the upper limb, a GIANT SPIDER ran over my bedcovers.  I weighed up in my mind what I should do and shook the bedcovers a little.  Where was it?  It seemed to have disappeared down the side of the bed by a wall.  Usually at an earlier hour I would throw a spider outside, but as it was late I didn't.  I put away my books and pens and settled down for the night.  Again I couldn't sleep so I read about wild grasses (another of my interests) and a few pages from a biography and went to sleep.  Soon I was in dreamland, when suddenly I awoke to feel something crawling on my hand.
     I imagined a little voice saying: "I crawled along her leg and there was a spider at the end of it -"
    "- her hand," said God.
     "What," asked the spider, "was her hand doing on the end of her leg?"
     I swept the spider off my hand and onto the carpet with my other hand and wrote down the whole story.  What a night!
The End

No comments:

Post a Comment