Monday, June 18, 2012

Combatting Loneliness: 20 things I do that work for me

1.  I try to be as creative as possible, to write things, draw and paint things and make things.  If ever I get a good idea, I try to use it and then more ideas come.
2.  I try to learn about everything that interests me.
3.  Exercise is good on a regular basis as long as it stays interesting.  I have a variety of options including tap shoes, and two exercise dvds for that purpose.
4.  I try to make the most of my time with my family by going to their concerts and award ceremonies, by doing family home evenings with them and by visiting my Dad with my children so they can eat a meal with him and watch opera on tv!
5.  Making mealtimes happy enjoyable times.  I use a variety of cookbooks.  Family mealtime is a big plus in my view.
6.  Teaching moments with my children may come in person, on the Web or on the telephone and I try to use them whenever possible as soon as I think of something I want to tell my children.
7.  Eating by oneself in a restaurant or cafeteria doesn't have to be awkward or lonely.  Taking along a favourite book or studying assures that.  It is not usually safe to sit at someone else's table I don't know, though I have had that work for me as an adult :D
8.  Reading a good book.
9.  Setting achievable work goals increases enjoyment in work, gives one something to look forward to every day.
10.  Taking visits to art galleries and museums by oneself can be a very enjoyable way to spend time.
11.  Developing a talent or hobby.
12.  Ask yourself what good thing have I always wanted to do?  Find a way to do it if it seems like a good idea.  Build up satisfaction in life this way, leaving no regrets at the end of your life for the things you haven't done that you wanted to do.
13.  Read scriptures and say prayers each day.  Build a strong relationship with our Heavenly Father.
14.  Write to relatives once a month if you feel the desire to.  I have just started doing this and love getting mail back and having a chance to tell them my news.
15.  Learn about health.
16.  Declutter and clean your house.
17.  Let music fill the air.
18.  Do an act of service.  You'll gain friends that way and will feel much better about yourself.
19.  Contact friends.  If you do not have all the friends you need, perhaps because you have not lived in an area very long, try praying for them and be specific.  When I ask sincerely for a particular type of friend, they often come right away. 
20.  Thank God for your blessings and life will brighten up and you'll get more blessings.
Request:  I would like to know how to combat loneliness when I don't have a date on a date night.  Do you have any suggestions?  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment