Tuesday, June 19, 2012

How To Make Friends

     I am writing this to remind myself how.  You are free to read it if you want, but I don't claim to have the last word on this.
     One of my favourite children's books, by Marie Hall Ets, is entitled Play With Me.  In it a little girl chases little animals in a woodland setting to try to make friends with them.  They all run away.  Finally she realises that if she sits very still, they will all come to her.  I use this method sometimes when I go to a social gathering and sit at the side of the room for a while and wait for people to come up and talk to me.  Sometimes this has good results.  You have to be patient.
     On other days, I find giving service is a good way to make friends.  I help out in the library at church and have made several friends this way.
     Sometimes striking up a conversation at a busstop has worked.
     Of course my favourite friends are my family!
     My favourite place to make friends is on a long train ride in Europe, you never know who you'll meet:D

No comments:

Post a Comment