Saturday, December 15, 2012

Acting

     When I was younger I attended Simon Fraser University for a short time.  What a splendid place that is.
      One of the courses I attended was an acting course where I performed a short monologue of an immigrant talking to customs officials at Ellis Island.  I remember feeling embarrassed skipping around the class singing On The Good Ship Lollipop on another occasion.  One day my class partner and I were rehearsing a squabble we had been assigned to act, while we happened to be in the washroom.  Another student came in to use the washroom and not realizing we were acting, thought I was really telling my partner off for real!  Suddenly I paused and said, "Oh, no, I've forgotten my lines!"  and then she realized we were just acting!  So funny.
     The other courses I attended there were: The History Of The Theatre which was marvellous.  We had lectures downtown and also watched thirteen plays of our choice at the Fringe Festival which was exciting.  At the end of the course we got to hand in our stream-of-consciousness notes in which we wrote whatever we were thinking about during the plays (this freed me up for a long time from years of torment from writer's block) and a wish-list of what we would like to see in the theatre in the future.
      Also included was a Theory Of Music course which I also enjoyed, where we got to fill out a workbook which was fun, and write a theory exam and an exam where we had to play the piano briefly (I was so nervous I fainted forwards towards the keyboard and just caught myself).  We learned a bit about composition which I found exciting.  Later I attended a Contemporary Music course where we got to choose the topic for our term paper.  I chose Klezmer.  We also listened to a variety of music and had lectures on it, and attended an early music concert and wrote an essay on what we heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment