Monday, December 17, 2012

Adventures I Had At U.B.C.

     When I arrived at the bus terminal on my first day at the University of British Columbia in 1980, I thought wistfully, "I wonder why I'm here - I wanted to be at Art School".  But U.B.C. turned out to be an adventure.
      First I went around campus and collected cards from all the courses I wanted to take that year - that was how they did registration in those days.  My choices for first year were Sociology/Anthropology (The Inuit), English - the professor died and I was so sad, Portuguese which has increased my appreciation of Samba songs, Linguistics and Psychology.
      I loved to sit in the Arts lounge with my friends during a break.  When people saw me on campus, they didn't know quite what to expect.  I changed my appearance so often, someone said, "If you see someone you don't recognize, it's probably Joanne!"
      Some other courses I attended later on were Spanish 100 and 200 (200 had a fabulous professor and I took it over the summer semester when the weather was nice), 300 and 400 level Spanish courses (Spanish was my major) in Literature - I especially enjoyed reading the poetry of artist and flamenco dancer Federico Garcia Lorca, another Linguistics course, Art, Swedish, Theatre Stage Set Design and Costume Design, Classical Studies - the myths and legends of Greece, and Astronomy and Geophysics.
     I had a wonderful time in Dance Club of U.B.C. as well and in Amnesty International.

No comments:

Post a Comment