Monday, June 3, 2013

Misfortunes Of Youth

     When I was seven years old, I lived in Keston, and attended Baston School, going to Brownies as well.  I was eager to learn.  We were learning to catch a ball and unfortunately I caught the ball in my eye three times in one week.  So much for that.  I decided I liked learning but playing catch was not on the top of my list.
     As I grew up I tended to avoid ball games, sitting on the sidelines whenever possible.  But one day, something happened.  A man at a volleyball game asked me why I wasn't playing.
      "Oh," I said, "I can't catch".
     He said, "You try to catch, and I'll stand here, and every time you make contact with the ball, I'll applaud".
     So I tried.  I never actually caught the ball, but every time my fingers brushed by it, he cheered and clapped.  I enjoyed that game so much.  If only we could all have friends that nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment