Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Further Adventures Of Randy The Dog by Joanne Okano

     Randy barked at passers-by and horses going down the road.  He followed the gardener around as he did his work.  He watched my mother gardening.  He played with a fox.  He was surprised by a frog.  He very occasionally went for walks.  We had a one-acre garden and he trotted around our garden.  He was mystified by his first snowfall.
     One day my sister and I were picked up to go to school.  Randy escaped from the garden, via a tunnel under the fence.  He ran up to our friends' car and jumped into the back seat, wriggling along the seat behind our backs and making us all laugh.
     Another time, he ran all the way up to the Fox Inn in the village and jumped into the car we were in when it stopped and one of us opened the door.
     Later, my mother, my sister and I were out in the garden with Randy when he came bounding up to me, jumped up onto me and licked my face and as a result I had part of my front teeth missing.  I'm sure he didn't mean it.  He was a very friendly, kind dog to me.  He was very kind to everyone.  If only I knew he was living a lonely life I would have gone out and played with him more.  He sometimes used to whine outside the backdoor because he needed us to spend more time with him I now realize.  I didn't know he was so lonely because I was only a child.  I was a very lonely child and I would have liked a friend too.
THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment