Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mothering The Cookie Dough Children

     My children are Cookie Dough Children.  I  let them get their hands in the cookie dough and they believe  they can do many things.
     When they were babies I carried them on my back for hours a day sometimes, so that they would be fascinated instead of bored and crying.  I named objects only once for them so that they would not be bored, such as when we went to the grocery store and I would name fruits and vegetables, and on walks, the names of some of the flowers.  A lady asked my little one, "Is that a flower?"
      "No," she replied.
      "Well, what is it then?" the lady wondered aloud.
      "A dandelion," came the answer from the little one.
     I read to my daughter for 45 minutes a day from the day after she was born and she could talk in full sentences using abstract concepts before her second birthday.  When she was age one and three quarters we heard some people speaking Chinese and I said, "I think those people are speaking Chinese."
     To which she replied, "Chinese is a kind of food, too, Mummy!"
     Have a lovely weekend and I'll be back on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment