Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Russell Children - Part One

     This idea for a story came to me when I was in my childhood.  In fact, it was one of the first stories I wrote, although I have changed it a bit here.  I remember I wrote the first draft on my sister's turquoise children's-size typewriter and was very pleased with myself.
     My parents were mountain-climbers, so that is possibly where the idea for the mountain came from.

     To my Dad

     The Russell children lived on a smallholding with their parents.  The children's names were Elly (short for Elizabeth), Stuart, Stephen, and Hamish (Hamish had an ancestor who was Scottish).  They lived near a stream which ran down the side of a mountain.
     Saturday was a holiday and Mother said they could go for a climb up the mountain if they wanted, after they finished feeding the pigs, chickens, dog and cats, collecting eggs and feeding the fish.
     The children were very pleased and did their chores cheerfully.  Mother packed them a picnic lunch and the children set off.  They walked over the grass and rocks to the mountain, being sure to stay on the mountain pathway so they wouldn't get lost. 
     Elly suggested they stop in a cave to admire the view, a view which they enjoyed.

TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment