Monday, September 3, 2012

The Festival In The Barrio

     I once almost found a husband.  I'll tell you about it in this story.
      I travelled to Segovia on the train.  I met a friend there who shall be called Maria.  She took me all around the town and showed me her relatives.  One of them was her cousin. 
      We went to the barrio where he lived.  There was a festival going on there.  It took three days and three nights for all the people to finish dancing.  She (Maria) took me into a restaurant and said,
      "Do you want to live here?  I'm going to find you a husband.  If you want to live in Segovia, you have to marry someone from here," she explained.
      She lined up shall we name them, Pedro, Arsenio, Pablo, David, Xavier, Jorge and so on until she had quite a line.  They were all twelve years old.  She explained to me that boys of thirteen are all betrothed and are not available. 
      She said, "Do you want to be related to me?  Marry my cousin."  She showed me her cousin.  He took one look at me, an old long-skirted lady (twenty something years of age) and ran out into the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment