Friday, October 12, 2012

Journal

CABBAGE LEAVES 
by
Joanne Okano

     This week I have been on a diet again.  I named this one the Danny Kaye diet, because he is one of my favourite celebrities and a person full of hope and I like being full of hope myself.  In this diet, I listen to the Holy Spirit about how much weight it is safe to lose.  I am fitting into my Sunday-best dress more nicely now, so this one is finally working, but I have been fighting the battle of the bulge for most of my life now.  I have been fat and thin and in-between.  My favourite weight is 140lbs. for myself.  I tried the Winnie-the-Pooh diet and the Annabella diet (eat healthy Italian food) and had a fun time but didn't lose any weight.  The Annabella diet I tried because in Italy when I visited in the 1980s, I noticed many elegant slender people, who walked a lot around the towns so I wanted to walk a lot and eat Italian food.  Annabella is a famous cookbook author.   She wrote a very nice chestnut soup recipe I tried in her book Annabella In Cucina (this book is in Italian, and the title means Annabella In The Kitchen!).

APA!
I used to live in Switzerland
For that's where I was born.
In Zurich, in a flat I lived,
And woke up every morn,
A cheerful, laughing baby.
Mother took me out to play.
I said "Apa!" to the men
As they passed me all day.
~
Next we went to Canada
At 'round the age of three
Where I saw a baby bear
It came close to my knee.
"I see a little animal!"
I said to my Mama.
Father picked me up under his arm
And ran in very fast!
~
Next we went to Sweden
With my new sister, Robin,
(She was born in Montreal.
Before we moved to Sweden -
I used to walk all down the street
And bring my friends to see her.)
She was the cutest baby
And we became great friends - yeah.
~
In Montreal I attended preschool
In French of course you know.
In Sweden it was all different
We spoke Swedish there and so
I learned another language
At kindergarten too.
I watched the Monkees on t.v.
And danced to songs I knew.
~
Next we went to England
Where lives the English Queen
I attended the friendly school
In the land of my dreams.
At Piccadilly Circus, 
There were taxis everywhere.
I felt on top of the world
In Trafalgar Square!
~
On weekends we went to London
To art galleries and museums
Watched movies and went to church
And watched plays.  I was so keen
To do all these great things.
I went to school during the week
To Baston School in Hayes
Where I did knowledge seek.
~
In the summer holidays
We went to Europe's continent
To travel in the car and see
Sights outside of Kent.
Later we bought a cottage
On Normandy's sunny shore
And went there every time we could
For puppetry and more.
~
We wandered up and down the beach
And cycled on the sand
We bought pommes frites at the seafront.
At muraling I tried my hand.
~

No comments:

Post a Comment