Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Lithuanian Sock Fairies by Joanne Okano

     A HAPPY RAINBOW appeared over top of donkey.
     Look Mummy, a rainbow!  said Pavel.
     Oh, yes dear, very nice, she said folding laundry.
      Why is it, Mummy, that a three year old can't go to Spain?  asked Pavel dreamily.
     Because you wouldn't have a Mummy there to love you.  I have to stay home and do laundry and make supper and feed the hamster, she reply.
     I'll just play on the table top then, said Pavel.  I can have adventures right here on the table top with a donkey, I suppose.
     Why do you want to go to Spain, son?  asked Mummy.
     Because I want to do flamenco, he said.
     Oh.
     I want to go to flamenco school and dance on stage.  That's all.
     Nice dream, she said, smiling and putting the laundry away.
     I have a few other dreams too, Pavel said.  Would you like to hear them too?
     Go ahead, she said.
     I want to sing on television in Wales, ride a donkey through Europe, and go fishing in Abyssinia too.
     I hope you get to do all that, she said.
     Really?  You think I can?  he brightened up.
     One day.

     (Author's note:  I used to pray for Russians to come to Vancouver and the next week they started arriving.  I like them so much because my next door neighbours at one time were Russian Jews and I played with them as a child.)

     Back to Pavel's mother:  I awoke early this morn and tiptoed like Shoshana, Brigham, Paul and Somerset and the Lithuanian sock fairies tiptoe in the even, so as not to wake the Fijian neighbours and got to work to tell you this story.
     But something had happened.  Some Lithuanian sock fairies had come in the night and deposited some Lithuanian sock fluff under my carpet in heap of froth to encourage me to clean.  Well, I can tell you when I tripped over that heap of froth I went into CLEANING FRENZY  and shone even the chandeliers.
     Next door children were donning Lithuanian socks and mittens and homemade dresses and dancing in ring on carpet.  They were having fun.  I was not having fun you think, but yes, I was having fun too.  I put on opera music and made it fun.
To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment